The main development objective of the SME Risk Share Facility is to facilitate access to sustainable credit for SMEs and thus contribute to incremental growth of SME employment and income generation. This is done through our homegrown “Connect fund and grow PNG Plan 2020-2030”.
Our function is to connect SMEs with financial institutions, and fund and grow our SMEs through financial support services in the form of loans and grants in partnership with local financial institutions.
- Connect, fund and Grow SMEs through engaging with banks and financial institutions (FIs) to drive Credit Enhancement Programs,
- SME Diagnostic, Mapping and Development of SME database management system for policy development,
- Capacity Building for Provincial Commerce and BDOs
- Smart hubs for youths in SMEs and
- Establishment of Smart Innovative Research Fund for SMEs.
RSF is a credit enhancement facility for MSMEs, RSF accelerates commercial banking lending to SMEs and provides credit protection needed by financial institutions to mitigate the perceived high risk of MSME loans. Since PNG is a liquid commercial banking sector, financial institutions hesitate to reduce these reserves due to highly perceived market risks and therefore do not sufficiently support MSME loans. As a result, MSMEs in PNG are stagnant and struggle to grow.
Department of Commerce and Industry using RSF as a model and a development tool, to facilitate access to finance for MSMEs, the higher-level objective is to foster MSME growth and employment creation in PNG. This is the key to achieving our government's overall development objectives of spurring economic growth and reducing poverty.
RSF is fully aligned with Medium Term Development Plan 2023-2028, and Vision 2050 on wealth creation, poverty reduction, and a healthy wealthy society by 2030.